UCLA Extension

FAQ: Educating and Supporting Students with ED (ED Added Authorization)

What is an ED Added Authorization?

The ED added authorization allows holders of Levels I and II Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing; Physical and Health Impairments; or Visual Impairments to conduct assessments, provide instruction, and special education related services to individuals with a primary disability of emotional service across the continuum of special education program options at the grade and age levels authorized prerequisite credential.

Is the ED Added Authorization/Certificate a teaching credential?

No. The ED Added Authorization is a supplementary authorization to an existing California teaching credential and cannot be obtained unless you hold the appropriate California credential.

How many courses are there in the program?

There are six, listed here:

EDUC 828.3 Introduction to the Study of Educating and Supporting Students with Emotional Behavioral Disturbance
EDUC X 428.418 Educating and Supporting Students with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders (EBD) through Collaborative Partners (4 units)
EDUC X 428.423 Supporting Positive Behavior and Peer Relations for Students with Emotional Behavioral Disorders (EBD) (4 units)
EDUC X 428.445 Academic Strategies, Including Response to Intervention, for Students with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders (4 units)
EDUC X 428.478 Language, Culture, and Inclusion for Students with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders (EBD) (4 units)
EDUC X 428.418B Portfolio for Education and Supporting Students with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders (EBD) (2 units)

What qualifications are required to obtain an Emotional Disturbance Added Authorization via university-level coursework?

Applicants must satisfy all of the following requirements at the time of application to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC):

  • Possess a valid California teaching credential
  • Successfully complete coursework in a CTC- approved program such as now offered by UCLA Education Extension.

Must I take the classes in any particular order?

All students must enroll in and complete the Introduction course and submit an application before they can enroll in any of the other courses. Enrollment in the final portfolio course, X 428.418B is restricted to students who have successfully completed all other previous coursework in the program.

How many courses may I take per quarter?

Due to the academic rigor of the courses, we recommend that students enroll in no more than two courses per quarter.

Must I take the Emotional Disturbance courses for a letter grade?

Yes. Students must successfully complete each course with a grade of “B“ or better to be formally recommended to CTC.

Can I combine coursework taken at institutions other than UCLA Extension to meet the requirements?

YIt is the student’s responsibility to request a course waiver, and submit the course description, syllabus and transcript to UCLA Extension Education Department. Submission of the requested documents does not automatically waive the courses.

Do I apply for the ED Added Authorization?

UCLA will formally recommend you to CTC once your grade for EDUC X 429.24 Portfolio for Education and Supporting Students with Special Needs, posts on our system. After we recommend you to CTC you will receive an email from CTC whereby you will be required to verify your information, answer fitness questions, and pay for your ED Added Authorization with CTC. Once you pay, it takes about ten business days for recommendation application to be processed.

May I submit my credential application directly to CTC?

No. Your certificate application must be filed by UCLA Education Extension with our formal recommendation on your behalf. Applications submitted directly by individuals to CTC without formal recommendation will be returned to them.

What are the costs of the ED Added Authorization/Certificate program?

Costs include current course fees (please see Course Descriptions) and candidacy fee. The cost of textbooks and other course materials will vary with courses and course instructors and are not included in the course fees.

May I take the ED Certificate course(s) for professional growth or personal interest purposes without applying for the certificate?

Yes. All of the individual courses have open enrollment except for the portfolio course which is restricted to certificate and credential students who have successfully completed all of the other courses and applied to the UCLA Education Extension program. The remaining courses can be taken in any order.

What if I need counseling on the application process or have questions?

You may contact the UCLA Education Extension credentialing office staff via email at credentials@uclaextension.edu or by phone at (310) 206-8342 between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.