Since 1917, UCLA Extension Education has provided staff development, in-service, and professional outreach to practitioners at all levels of education—preschool, elementary, secondary, adult, and higher education. We partner with UCLA’s Graduate School of Education and Information Studies (GSE & IS) to create a community of learning and action with a social justice emphasis. Its members are scholars, practitioners, teachers, agenda setters, and public intellectuals who research, teach, and prepare practitioners and researchers in learning and information fields in an environment of multiple constituencies. The shared goal is to enhance the life experience of all individuals through inquiry, professional practice, and policy that leads to equitable access to quality education.
The department resources include:
- A relationship with the UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies that facilitates the translation of current research to educational practice
- Access to other faculty resources and University research through collaboration with UCLA Extension departments of Humanities, Sciences, Social Sciences, and Health Sciences; The Arts; Business and Management; Engineering, Information Systems, and Technical Management; Entertainment Studies and Performing Arts; and the American Language Center
- Relationships with local school districts throughout the Los Angeles basin and the Los Angeles County Office of Education
- Partnerships with government agencies, professional associations, and business and industry in the development and implementation of professional programs
- Relationships with the California Department of Education and the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing to implement legislative mandates, curricular reform, and certification requirements
- Extensive experience in the development and implementation of model sequences and certificated programs, national conferences, courses, and workshops
- The ability to provide university professional development credit that applies to state licensing/credentialing requirements, salary advancement in public and private institutions, and in specific cases, to university/college degrees
We invite you to explore our web pages and the wide range of offerings designed to enhance your professional growth.